Miss Idaho 2008

Meet Elise Davis,
Miss Idaho 2008!

Local Title to Compete at Miss Idaho: Miss Idaho Falls

Talent: Vocal Performance of “O Mio Babbino Caro” by Puccini

Platform: Sharing Strength, Creating Character: Women Mentoring Girls

Favorite memory from competing at Miss Idaho: There are so many memories I cherish from competing at Miss Idaho, so it’s impossible to pick just one! I loved all the girls in my class, and we all had such a good time goofing around back stage during rehearsals. There was also the moment right after I won when I realized my then-boyfriend had driven up to the pageant last-minute to surprise me and was in the audience to see me win.

But my favorite memory from Miss Idaho was the night before the competition when I was alone in the gym at our hotel. I remember working out in the quiet and feeling an overwhelming sense of calm and confidence that I’d never felt before and that I’ve never really felt since. I knew in that moment that I was there for a reason, and that the Miss Idaho Pageant was going to be the beginning of something truly special in my life.

Favorite portion of the competition: The talent portion was the whole reason I started competing in pageants. I grew up taking classical voice lessons and figured I might be able to win a little scholarship money if I could win the talent portion of the competition at Miss Idaho Falls…but I won the whole thing! I always felt like talent was the moment when I really shined and got to show the audience and judges who I was and what I was all about.

Favorite memory from Miss America: The night I competed in the evening gown portion of the pageant, Clinton Kelly, from “What Not to Wear” was sitting on the front row at the Planet Hollywood. After the competition that evening, he came up to me and said, “When you came out on stage tonight, I leaned over to my friend and said, ‘Miss Idaho looks just like Grace Kelly.’” Best. Compliment. Ever.

Did you meet any great friends at Miss America? From where? I was closest with South Dakota and Wisconsin (we all referred to each other by our state names, as opposed to our real names). We were roommates and teammates on the green team during the “Countdown to the Crown” reality show on TLC.

How has being Miss Idaho influenced your life now? There’s nothing like the confidence that comes from being a Miss American titleholder, and that confidence benefits me both personally and professionally every day! I currently work as brand strategist for Ogilvy & Mather, a worldwide advertising agency with over 450 offices around the globe. I spend the majority of my time building client relationships, leading agency meetings and presenting research and strategy, so the poise, passion and public speaking experience I gained as Miss Idaho has definitely impacted my life for the better!

What lessons did you learn from competing? The two most important things I learned from competing were:

1. When you look the part, you can play the part. I found that looking your best and having the right outfit can make all the difference in feeling confident – whether that’s for an important business meeting or just working out!

2. Never underestimate the importance of preparation. Competing requires you to prepare for a lot of different events at one time: public speaking, performing, physical fitness, etc. I spent more time preparing for some events than others, and I always did best on the events where I put in more time.

What part of Miss America do you look forward to today? Evening gown is my favorite! Onstage question and talent stress me out because not all the contestants perform well during those segments, but competing in evening gown at Miss America is the kind of experience that makes every contestant feel absolutely beautiful, and it shows!

What was it like being Miss Idaho? It sounds cliché, but being Miss Idaho was a 365-day emotional rollercoaster. I experienced some of the highest highs and lowest lows of my life during my year of service. There were definitely days and weeks when I felt lonely and a little lost, but those moments were always followed by a once-in-a-lifetime experience like making a difference with my platform, performing at events around the state, and competing at Miss America that made the whole ride worth it.

What is one story that you love to tell people about your year as Miss Idaho? I love telling people that I was on a reality show! It’s such a ridiculous, random experience. The show was called “Countdown to the Crown,” and it aired on TLC. We lived on the Queen Mary boat in Long Beach Harbor for a month and competed in a series of team and personal competitions. There was a scavenger hunt, obstacle course, dress design challenge, and talent show. If you won a challenge, you got a “golden sash” and were then eligable to be voted into the top 15 at Miss America. My team won two of the challenges and we were all awarded with golden sashes on the final episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment