Read Across America


March 1 was Read Across America, a day in which America celebrates reading. Miss Tri- Counties, Laura Hampikian, was invited to read to five different classes at Lena Whitmore Elementary School. Her is an accounting of her trip to Whitmore.

"The first class that I went to was a fifth grade class. First I read to them. After, upon finding out that singing was my talent, they asked me if I would sing to them. They specifically asked me to read “Oh the Places You’ll Go” to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner. I am proud to say that I obliged them.

In the second class, one student asked me to sign an autograph for him. I said I could do that, but then  nfortunately didn’t anticipate that the rest of the class would want autographs as well. After I read them my book, I signed as many autographs as I possibly could. While I was signing, I took some questions from the class. Again, the class wanted to hear me sing. However, this time the requests were even more fun. I was asked to sing Usher. Usher! I didn’t know that kids still listened to Usher! Growing up in Atlanta, I am proud to say that have a repertoire of Usher songs memorized in my head, so I did a quite review to see if there were any that had clean lyrics. Thank you, Usher, for keeping at least the first verse of “Burn” relatively clean. So I did it. I sang Usher in front of a fifth grade class. And I even got applauded. I did discover that perhaps it is time for me to add some Taylor Swift into my list of memorized songs. I got a request to sing that it every class I went to (as well as a great many protests against me singing Taylor Swift from the boys in the class)!

In the last class I was eagerly asked, “Are you the queen of Moscow??!” To which I replied, “Well, yes, sort of!” Another student asked me, “Has anyone ever bowed down to you before?” I had to reply that honestly, no, no one has ever bowed down to me. Next thing you know the whole class was bowing down! Those kids are so silly."

No comments:

Post a Comment