A Weekend in Teton Valley


My big event last week as Miss Idaho was the Teton Valley Curves open house. I showed up in Driggs at 9 am, ready to workout all day long! Cat, owner of Teton Valley Curves, showed me around the circuit to give me a feel the type of workout every lady is getting at Curves. It’s only 30 minutes total, and the hydraulic machines let you control the intensity of your workout based on how quickly you perform each exercise. At 10am, we had our largest RE-solution class of the day with about 15 ladies. I helped the coaches from inside the circuit, motivating each lady to push harder and envision their end goal. After the workout while the ladies were stretching, I shared a few of my experiences working towards the Miss Idaho swimsuit competition last June, and Miss America in January.
 Could you see this girl at Miss America some day!? I can!

 Two of the ladies I met at the 10am RE-solution class; 
It's so fun to see people's reactions when you let them wear the crown and sash!

 This is Amy, one of the coaches at Teton Valley Curves who is bilingual 
and can help even more ladies reach their fitness goals!

Following the 10 o’clock class, I ran some errands, making payments and bank deposits for the fitness club, as well as distributing flyers to people in the parking lot and recruiting them to come to the 2pm or 6pm classes. I was excited wen Cat from Curves hired me for a contract day job to do all the marketing for the open house and Curves club in general. It’s always nice to receive a little compensation for an appearance as well! ;)

On my lunch break, I found a restaurant unique to Driggs just off Main Street called Wrap ‘N Roll. They catered some of the food for the open house throughout the day, and I just couldn’t get enough of it! My Curry Chicken Wrap was heavenly to say the least! If you’re ever passing through Teton Valley, you ought to stop by. After lunch, I spoke to another group of ladies at the 2pm RE-solution class, and then headed off to the high school to speak to the Teton County Distinguished Young Women. The DYW always attracts such nice girls!!! I had a great time visiting with them, and I even ran into some of the students that I met back in October when I visited Teton High School’s choir and band classes. The whole city just has such a homey, laid-back feel. Gotta’ love Idaho!!!!

I returned back to Curves for the 6pm class, where I met Teton Valley Curves’ youngest member named Miriam. Throughout the class she seemed very shy, and she was extremely soft spoken. At the end of the class when I was packing up my stuff to head home, Miriam pulled me aside and asked, “Miss Idaho, if it’s not too much trouble, would you mind coming to dinner with me at my family’s Mexican restaurant?” Talk about heart melting!!! It was such a sweet end to a memorable day in Teton Valley. So Miriam helped me carry the rest of my things out to my car, and we headed down Main Street for Hacienda Cuajimalpa.

 This is Miriam on the left, her mother on the right, and her baby sister with the sash!
 I was also able to meet Miriam's older sister who was our waitress, and her father who runs the place.

At the restaurant, Miriam's little sister had fun being Miss Idaho for an hour!


Miriam told me that her family’s place was the oldest restaurant in town. She opened up even more, letting me into her personal life and future goals. As a girl who loves soccer, she plans to lose 10 pounds in order for her hip injuries to heal faster so that she will be able to play. When she loses those 10 pounds, her family has planned a trip to Disneyland! After we finished our Taco salads, I had the opportunity to meet the rest of Miriam’s family at the restaurant, and of course we all got pictures together. Miriam and the rest of her family proved to be some of the most kind-hearted, generous people I’ve met! Getting to know Miriam over dinner at her family’s restaurant is one of those sweet memories that I can add to the Miss Idaho collection and keep with me for the rest of my life. You can bet I’ll be stopping by Hacienda Cuajimalpa next time I go through Driggs up to Targhee. J

Until Next Week,

Whitney Wood
Miss Idaho 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment